Anne Frank are very different in character. She is headstrong, talkative, and temperamental while I am quiet, stubborn, and temperamental as well. I suppose being stuck with the same people each day in closed space brings out your personality negatively.
Her family, the Van Daans- family friends- and Dr. Dussel- obviously a doctor- all critize her. Anne was never the favorite between her and her sister Margot to begin with- Margot is quiet and will easily give in. But now they all critize her. "If I talk, everyone thinks I'm showing off; when I'm silent they think I'm ridiculous; rude if I answer, sly if I get a good idea, lazy if I'm tired, selfish if I eat a mouthful more than I should, stupid, cowardly, crafty, etc., etc." Critizing Anne only brings out the worst of her. It is a cycle. They critize her, she loses her temper, they critize her, and so on.
She and I are very alike in this way. The main people who critize me are my dad and my brother. Between the two, naturally my dad's critizisms bother me most. Usually, his scolding is enough to send me into tears. Sometimes I feel like he and my brother will not leave me alone! I feel like I can do nothing right."More than once, after a whole string of undeserved rebukes, I have flared up at Mummy: 'I don't care what you say anyhow. Leave me alone: I'm a hopeless case anyway.'"
When I was younger- and even now- I would yell at my brother to leave me alone. "Do you want to play with me?" "No." "Why not?" "Because I don't want to play!" "That's not a good reason." Sometimes this would happen in the morning and my yelling would wake up the whole house- my dad was never in a good mood when this happened. I may seem very quiet at school, but at home I can be loud when I wish to be.
Thanks for reading. I think I would have done better if I wrote this immediately after I read that journal entry. I did not write too badly, did I? Oh. Well, I guess I can do better.
No comments:
Post a Comment