Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Human Trafficking

This article- Financers and Sex-Trafficking by Nicholas D. Kristof - is obviously about human trafficking. It about the role of financers on a private, sex-trafficking organization called Village Voice Media. Recently, the governor of Washington State just "signed a bill into law" that would reveal Backpage- the organization's website for advertising- to criminal sanctions if it advertises under-age girls for sex without verifying their ages.

The author is trying to talk about what is going on with this main organization for trafficking. Honestly, human trafficking should not be happening. It shows just by how the main owner- Goldman Sachs- was trying to sell shares of company once he realized the writer was inquiring about the organization. Anyone would be embarrassed if someone was asking about something they were not supposed to be doing. Selling young girls and women into slavery? It isn't right. The author reveals that human trafficking is wrong.

To me, somehow lack of freedom of your own body is worse than the slavery all the way back in history. Sure, yeah, at least people are not being forced into laboring over plantations, but in a way.... It's still the same. Young women are still beat up when they do not do what they are told. They are selling their bodies. Sex is really only meant to be something between a person and his spouse. Only a person should share it with his spouse and not anyone else. I always feel uncomfortable when people talk about sex so casually. Forget about sex; I can't even talk about boys with my parents! It shows I am obviously not ready for it (and yes, I do believe in abstinence). But girls younger than I am are going through this!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/opinion/sunday/kristof-financers-and-sex-trafficking.html?_r=1&ref=nicholasdkristof#

No comments:

Post a Comment